The Flenniken Library was started in 1946 by the Carmichaels-Cumberland Women's Civic Club. It was first located in the basement room of the first National Bank in Carmichaels, now Community Bank.
In 1959, the will of Earl T. Flenniken provided a sum of money to be used for a library in memory of his parents William F. and Mary A. Flenniken.
The library purchased the Werner Lund property near the square and remodeled the large brick Mansion. The opening was May 1, 1961.
in 1972, the first floor of the building was expanded.
in 1976, the Bowlby and Flenniken libraries combined to form the Greene County Library System.
In 1982, an adddition was built for a conference room and children's library.